One pound of zucchini will yield approximately one cup of zucchini butter.
- 1 lb. zucchini
- ⅛ cup butter or olive oil
- 1 minced shallot or garlic (or a combination of both)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: mint, red onion, thyme, Pecorino Romano cheese
- Coarsely grate zucchini. Let drain in a colander for five minutes.
- Squeeze water out of drained zucchini using a clean, cloth towel.
- Heat butter/olive oil in skillet. Sauté the shallot or garlic briefly.
- Add zucchini, as well as salt, pepper and optional additions.
- Mix. Cook over medium-high heat and continue to stir periodically for 10 to 15 minutes until zucchini cooks down into a spreadable consistency.